Monitoring Desk: United States condemns terrorist attacks in France, Kuwait, Somalia and Tunisia.
In a press statement issued by the Department Spokesperson from Washington, DC, the spokesman John Kirby said that the United States condemns in the strongest possible terms Friday’s horrifying terrorist attacks in France, Kuwait, Somalia, and Tunisia, where dozens of innocent civilians and, in the case of Somalia, Burundian peacekeepers, were killed and injured.
“We express our deepest sympathy to the victims’ families and our heartfelt wishes for the recovery of those injured. The United States grieves with the people and governments of Burundi, France, Kuwait, Somalia, Tunisia, and other nations affected by these vicious attacks and stands with them in solidarity as they reject terrorism, protect their communities, restore peace and security, and persevere through these tragedies. We will continue to work with all of our allies and partners to address the shared threat of terrorism and violent extremism and to degrade and destroy the ability of these terrorist groups to carry out their callous attacks on innocent people.”, said Kerby.
It may be mentioned that the near-simultaneous attacks targeted tourists at a hotel resort in Tunisia and Shia worshipers in a mosque in Kuwait and killed a delivery company boss at a factory in France.
In Tunisia, at least 37 people were shot dead in the country’s deadliest terrorist attack. In Kuwait, 25 were killed and more than 200 injured in a suicide bomb – the first attack in the country since 2005. In France, the victim was decapitated, the first time that grim method had been used in the country.
Islamic State claimed responsibility for the Kuwait incident, but the affiliation and inspiration of the other attackers remained unclear. Isis’s chief spokesman, Abu Mohammad al-Adnani, called on jihadists earlier this week to “make the month of Ramadan a calamity on the apostates” by stepping up attacks and seeking “martyrdom”.