Canada Day 2022: Celebrating 155 years of Canada
The time to sing ‘O Canadaa’ is approaching fast as this year we have ourselves a Canada Day long weekend. For those of you who don’t know – Canada Day is much like the Fourth of July in the US and is a commemoration of the country’s unification of 3 North American British Colonies. So first of all, Happy Canada Day 2022
- New Brunswick
- Nova Scotia
- Province of Canada (consisting of Ontario and Quebec)
In 1876, on July 1st, Canada became a semi-independent dominion when British North America joined the 3 colonies we mentioned earlier. In time, the country became a self-governing territory of Great Britain and by 1982 the country was able to get complete independence.
Therefore, since 1983, every 1st of July is celebrated as Canada Day.
When is Canada Day?
Canada Day is celebrated on the same date, every year. In 2022, Canada Day falls on Friday, July 1 making it a long weekend. It is a public holiday and is celebrated all day. All workplaces have this day off, typically, and if the holiday tends to occur on a weekend – the following Monday will be given as a day off to them instead.
The traditions of Canada Day 2022 will be highlighting the country’s inclusion, cultural diversity and youth for its 155th year.
The traditions of the day include:
- big and small parades
- wearing the national flag colors
- painting faces in the flag colors
- outdoor picnics
- sporting events
- delicacies like poutines, baklava or beaver tails
Canada Day Date 2022
Canada day 2022 will be observed on the 1st of July Friday 2022.
This year the Canadian Government is celebrating the day in all its glory with the citizens and residents from all over the country with over 1500+ planned official events to choose from. One can go to the official country site and check the events planned for their areas. There are proceedings for both daytime and evening.
There are 3 official events announced in Ottawa/Gatineau which is the country’s capital region.
- LeBreton Flats Park (9 am to 10:30 am)
- Place des Festivals Zibi (9 am to 10:30 am)
- Parliament Hill ( All Day)
With this said, it might be helpful to have a plan for getting around and knowing the times of events near you in advance so that you’re not stuck in traffic.
Canada Day Weekend Fireworks in Ottawa Region
Tim Hortons Canada Day Pyromusical Fireworks (Main fireworks by Canadian Heritage) – July 1, 2022 | 10:00 PM @ Best views from LeBreton Flats Park, Ottawa/Place des festivals Zibi, 3 Eddy St, Gatineau Details
- Ottawa REDBLACKS – June 30 after the game @ The Stadium at TD Place, 1015 Bank Street, Ottawa
- Riverside South Community Canada Day Fireworks– July 1, 2022 | 10:00 PM @ Claudette Cain Park, Ottawa
- Orléans Canada Day Fireworks – July 1, 2022 | 10:00 PM @ Petrie Island, Ottawa
- Barrhaven Canada Day Fireworks – July 1, 2022 | Dusk @ Clarke Fields Park, 93 Houlahan St, Nepean
- Greely Canada Day Fireworks – July 1, 2022 | Dusk @ Greely Community Centre, 1448 Meadow Dr, Greely
- Stittsville Canada Day Fireworks – July 1, 2022 | 10:00 PM @ Cardel Rec Centre., 1500 Shea Rd, Stittsville
- Munster Canada Day Fireworks – 2022 TBA (2019 from Munster Dogwood Park, 2890 Munster Road, Ottawa)
- Kanata Canada Day Fireworks – July 1, 2022 | 10:00 PM from Walter Baker Park off Terry Fox Drive, Kanata
- Russell Canada Day Fireworks – TBA (2019 from Russell High School)
- Osgoode Village Canada Day Fireworks – TBA (2019 at Osgoode Village Community Association)
- Vars Canada Day Fireworks – TBA (2019 at the corner of Russell and Boundary Roads, Carlsbad Springs.)
- Corkery Community Association – TBA (2019 at Corkery Community Centre, 3447 Old Almonte Rd, Carp)
- Dunrobin Canada Day Fireworks – TBA (2019 at Eagle Creek Golf Club, 109 Royal Troon Lane Dunrobin)
- North Gower Canada Day Fireworks – TBA (2019 at Alfred Taylor Rec. Centre 2300 Community Way North Gower)
- Beacon Hill Fireworks – TBA (2019 at Loyola Hill Park, Gloucester)
Congratulations on 155 years of independence Canadians.
Happy Canada Day!